Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  


Recommended Posts

Essential Knowledge: Tax Tips for Post-Secondary Students (from CGA)
Full-Time Students
Full-time students may claim a federal credit of 15 per cent of their eligible tuition fees, plus an education credit of 15 per cent of $400 per month in 2010. The equivalent Ontario provincial credit is indexed; students may claim a monthly credit of up to 5.05 per cent of $481 (the indexed amount is determined annually and can be found on the Ontario TD1 form).
Part-Time Students
Students registered to attend part-time studies may also claim the tuition fee credit of 15 per cent of eligible fees; in addition, they may deduct $120 a month toward the 15 per cent federal education tax credit, and $144 per month (indexed) toward the Ontario provincial education tax credit.
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities may be enrolled part-time to qualify for a full-time credit. Individuals with disabilities who are enrolled in approved Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) or equivalent provincial/territorial-approved training programs can also deduct those related expenses.
Career-Related, Post-Secondary Education
The education tax credit also applies to students who are pursuing career-related, post-secondary education at their own expense (e.g., the CGA program of professional studies).
Textbook Tax Credit
The 2006 federal budget introduced a non-refundable “textbook tax credit” of 15 per cent of $65 to cover eachmonth the student is eligible to receive the full-time education tax credit and 15 per cent of $20 for each month they are eligible for a part-time education tax credit.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Bursary Income
The 2006 federal budget fully exempted from taxation all scholarship, fellowship or bursary income with respect to post-secondary education or occupational training in a program, one that entitles the student to claim the education tax credit. Previously, only the first $3,000 of such income was exempt.
Online Versus Onsite
It is not always necessary for a student to be in physical attendance at a qualified institution in Canada to claim either the tuition or education tax credits. For example, online course participation via the website of a recognized post-secondary institution may also qualify the taxpayer for both tax credits.

Unused Tuition, Education and Textbook Credits
Unused tuition, education and textbook credits may be carried forward indefinitely to offset the income of students in future years. Alternatively, students may transfer unused federal credits of up to $5,000 (an indexed $6,185 for the Ontario portion of this credit), reduced by their income in excess of personal credits, to a supporting person — such as a parent or grand¬parent. However, the transferred credits must be claimed in the year they were incurred.
Students who are attending an accredited institution outside Canada — generally this will translate to a university-level course of at least 13 consecutive weeks duration leading to a degree — are eligible to transfer their unused credits, provided they owe Canadian income tax. However, students who reside in Canada near the U.S. border who are registered in (and commute to) a designated educational institution in the U.S., might be able to claim or transfer a tuition credit for a course of any duration.
Other Possibilities for the Tuition Credit
There are some mandatory ancillary charges — such as fees for computer services, labs, health and athletics — that are also eligible for the tuition credit. Mandatory computer-service fees eligible for a tuition credit could include such things as the use of a laptop computer and applicable software.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has ruled that students may deduct tuition fees paid to an accredited post-secondary institution for audit/hearer courses in which they attend lectures, but do not write examinations or receive credit.
A 15 per cent federal tax credit and a 5 .05 per cent Ontario provincial tax credit are available on the repayment of interest on federally or provincially approved student loans. To be eligible for this credit, students must consolidate their loans with an authorized lender after graduating from the post-secondary institution and assume responsibility for paying interest by the first day of the seventh month, following completion of their studies.
Students have the option of applying the non-transferable credit to either the current year or to carry it forward to any one of, or spread over, the next five subsequent taxation years.
Even students who didn’t earn enough money to necessitate paying income tax should file an income tax return. The rationale for this is because 18 per cent of earned income from the previous year is eligible to be contributed to an RRSP.
Students don’t have to deduct an RRSP contribution in the year in which it was made; instead, they can carry it forward for deduction in a future period when they have sufficient income with which to offset the RRSP contribution.

Taxpayers are able to withdraw money from their RRSP for qualifying full-time education and training for either themselves or their spouse/common-law partner — but not both parties at the same time — on a tax-free basis. For individuals with disabilities, this provision, which is known as the Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP), covers both full- or part-time education and training.
LLP withdrawals may not exceed $10,000 in a year and $20,000 over a four-year period. Taxpayers can participate in the plan as many times as they wish but may not begin a new plan before the end of the year in which all repayments are made for previous withdrawals. Withdrawals are generally repayable in equal instalments over 10 years, beginning about five years after the first withdrawal (sooner if the student fails to remain in the program full time).
Students in medical residency programs that last for at least three months and qualify for the tuition fee tax credit may also participate in the LLP.
Many lower-income earners, including students, may be eligible for a GST credit. If so, don’t forget to apply for the GST rebate on the tax return.
Check with your certified general accountant to determine how the tax credits detailed here apply to your specific situation.

Extracted from CGA Ontario – Student tax tips. Edited by ppppp

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
如果你在nb上的学, 毕业了之后在nb工作,而且给nb政府上税了的话, 政府会退给你的。 你要先报税, 等收到noa之后, 看看你这一年有没有给nb政府上税,(看nb的那个 line 428). 通常刚毕业的学生本来就没有政府上税的, 因为你在上学期间积攒的tuition credit可以把你的income tax抵的很多。

[quote name='wishing']Thanks for sharing, Peter.

Do you have some knowledge of the tuition rebate program of NB?[/quote]

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='UNBREGISTRAR']如果你在nb上的学, 毕业了之后在nb工作,而且给nb政府上税了的话, 政府会退给你的。 你要先报税, 等收到noa之后, 看看你这一年有没有给nb政府上税,(看nb的那个 line 428). 通常刚毕业的学生本来就没有政府上税的, 因为你在上学期间积攒的tuition credit可以把你的income tax抵的很多。[/quote]

就是说毕业后N多年,等交学费的TAX CREDIT用完之后,有了LINE428之后才可以申请,对吧?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this